Monday, October 16, 2006

Our Bionic Baby

Molly is blessed to be implanted in a time of such advancing technology. Over 60,000 people in the world have been implanted. The FDA began to approve implantation in adults in the mid-80's and extended it to children in the 90's.

The very primitive devices had 1 channel. Multiple channel devices were introduced in the 80's which helped greatly with speech recognition. I’m not certain, but I believe that Molly’s device has 22 channels. We will learn more about the device in the next few months. Huge learning curve! I tell you all of this because I want to share a couple websites with you. Both sites have audio demos that simulate what speech/music would sound like through a cochlear implant. Audio Demo1 , Audio Demo2






Molly testing out her healed head wound.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Molly has grown so in a short time. Beautiful bionic baby!
I checked out the two audio sites. Great info and I look forward to hearing of progress!

Truly God has held all 3 of you during this surgery. Look forward to your updates.

LH (mother of Frost)